Tuesday 29 December 2015

Back In The Saddle


As I expected, December is a bad time for keeping up with goals. All of my ambitions got crowded out with getting ready for Christmas, or more accurately, keeping up with my wife’s getting ready for Christmas.

New Years, however, is ALL about the personal renewal (if you made a drinking game over every magazine you saw that said “New Year New You.” January would be the new Festive Season, and February would be Liver Health Awareness Month). However, it’s become a running gag about how New Year’s Resolutions are discarded by January 15th.

My own goals in November kind of unraveled in the last ten days. There was no attention given to the Facebook posts, and the accountability wasn’t there. But I have a different motivation in January.

For a couple years, I went into a winter funk in January and February. Last year, I was able to keep it in check, partially with regular exercise, limiting the junk food intake, and keeping my entertainment light.

A lot of attention has been given to clinical depression in the last few years, especially since the untimely death of Robin Williams. However, I don’t believe that all instances of low moods are a clinical condition. The problem with these causes is that it becomes almost fashionable to be depressed. “You know that thing that everyone’s talking about? It’s ME!” This was true before the Social Media Narcissism age, and it seems to have gotten worse.

As for me, I don’t have a diagnosed condition, but my funks can get pretty severe. Last year, I found that the diet and exercise changes helped a LOT. I look forward to trying it again.

I hope that someone wants to jump on board with me. Want to do better? Want to BE better? Want to be the hero that you look up to? All of our heroes worked their asses off to get where they are, and I, for one, want to be someone worthy of my respect. I know that such things are easier with a team-mate, so if you’re looking for someone to help keep you on track, then you’ve come to the right place! Leave a comment or a message on the Facebook page, and let’s work the upward spiral!

No comments:

Post a Comment